Early settlers came to the Baker River in 1871, originally calling the settlement on the west bank “Minnehaha”. In 1890, the townsite was platted by Magnus Miller, a post office was set up, and the name “Baker” was adopted.
On the east bank of the river, the community that sprang up around the Washington Portland Cement Company (1905) was named “Cement City”. After the Superior Portland Cement Company plant (1908) was built in Baker, it was decided to merge the two towns, and in 1909, after much discussion, the new community settled on the name “Concrete”.
Now Concrete is much more than its name would suggest. People from all over the world make Concrete and near by Rasar State Park along with Baker Lake a destination for hiking, fishing, camping and exploring into the North Cascades National Park.
Photo via Concrete Chamber of Commerce